Focus on three urban revitalisation projects, led by Urban teams, which got underway this summer.
In Ixelles, in the "Athénée" Sustainable Neighbourhood Contract
→ Work began on the Pôle Rabelais project, involving the renovation of the former Athénée Rabelais, in partnership with the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
Developed by the temporary association of Urban platform + R2D2 architecture, this large-scale multifunctional complex project is divided into several operations:
- the renovation of the central courtyard of the former Athénée into a public hall open to the district and the school;
- the renovation and refurbishment of three existing sports halls and their adjoining changing rooms;
- the renovation of the ground-floor premises on the Rue Jules Bouillon side, opening up the façade to the street in a way that respects the building's heritage, and opening up the premises to the public hall;
- the construction of a 72-place crèche in the existing nursery school building;
- the construction of eight social housing units on the plot currently occupied by the car park;
- and a new layout for the public space around the future complex.
The project, designed by the architecture office Multiple, aims to improve the district's living environment by making the street more friendly, safe and pleasant for all users, and in a greener setting.
In Brussels, in the "Citroën – Vergote" Urban Renewal Contract
→ Construction of the future Magasin 4 concert hall, on the corner of Avenue du Port and Rue de l'Entrepôt, near Tour & Taxis, has begun.
A place for alternative musical culture, the new concert hall will offer double and lasting spatial potential and is the result of a collaboration between the City of Brussels, the Brussels Region, the Société d'Aménagement Urbain (SAU) and the Port of Brussels. The project is being carried out by CENTRAL office for architecture and urbanism.